Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

take it off. take it all off!

I am in the middle of a social experiment.  I have almost entirely given up on wearing ties and "dressing up."  Don't get me wrong.  There are occasions when it is necessary like meeting the President of the United States or officiating a black-tie wedding (Shooster wedding in June!).  Other than a few occasions, I find dressing up to be exhausting.  Wearing a shirt tucked in and a tie is simply not comfortable and I like to be comfortable.  Yes, that includes Shabbat!

Some of you may be thinking, but aren't you a rabbi?  Don't rabbi's have to dress up?  To which I answer, why do rabbi's have to dress up?  It is been said to me often, "We offer our best to God and that's why we dress up on Shabbat."  To which I answer, "Why is my best a suit and tie?" And why does the idea that we must offer our best mean how we dress.

I once had a discussion with a congregant who did not believe in tithing from his paycheck to the synagogue but believed (deeply) that everyone should "offer their best" with what they wear to synagogue.  Similarly, recently I was told by someone that I was not a good example to his teenage son because I wear jeans on Shabbat.  I said to this man, sarcastically, "You're right, I love God and am serving Him with my whole life, I love my wife and my children and I am doing my best to love people. I think your ideas of what is a good example are pretty messed up."

Some say that dressing down is just a gimmick, but for me it is not a gimmick, it is an ideology.  In our everyday life we often face extra-biblical concepts that are not biblical at all.  The old saying "cleanliness is next to godliness" is a great example.  These words are not in the Bible but you would be surprised how many people treat the saying as if it is from God.  Truthfully, some things are just quotes from our mothers!  I don't believe God is more honored when we show up to synagogue in our best.  Not to mention, who's to say that jeans, a t-shirt, and chucks are not our best!?

Some of my friends in ministry have said to me recently, "Seattle is the perfect place for you because everyone dresses down."  True.  It does make the experiment easier, but I don't think the city matters.  People matter, and in my generation I think there is a desire for deep authenticity.  I am not saying no one should dress up ever again.  I am saying it is not for me.  I think I represent myself better when I am just being me and being me means I am a little different than your average rabbi.

I have also been told that "dressing down will not work in Jewish ministry."  And here is where the social experiment comes in to play.  I am not sure wether that statement is true or not but I am determined to figure it out.  Some have said, "dressing down works in the church but not in the synagogue" and I see this statement as a challenge.  Forty years ago it didn't work for the church either.  It took a few leaders who challenged the idea that dressing up and ministry are synonymous, and they challenged that idea and now there are thousands of "dress down" churches reaching millions of people with the Jewish Messiah.

"But Matt," you say, "being a Rabbi is a profession and dressing up means you are a professional."  Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon and plenty of others have handled this kind of statement in their spheres of influence.  Titles and the way we dress does not make someone "professional."  I believe that I am good at what I do (improvement is always the goal).  The work should speak for itself.

It takes all kinds of people to reach all kinds of people.  Those who dress up will reach those who dress up.  Those who dress down will reach those who dress down.  I believe there are plenty of Jewish people who are hungry for the truth of God's word that are not interested in wearing ties or dressing up.  I believe there is a place in this world for rabbi's and synagogues that dress down.  Not as a gimmick.  Not based on location.  But, based on a desire to see people from all kinds of backgrounds return back to their creator: The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

In Messianic circles our leaders are often talking about reaching the next generation and growing leaders from the next generation.  I think dressing down speaks to my generation and I believe that my generation is full of awesome, God-loving men and women who are ready to do awesome things for the kingdom of God.  I also believe that there are many in the generations ahead of us who are holding young people back because we don't look like them.  I know there are leaders out there that embrace young people for who they are but our movement is in desperate need of more leaders that will let us lead along side of them.  Even leaders that will allow young people to lead them (jeans and all)!

It is the responsibility of each generation to translate the Jewish message of our Jewish Messiah into the generation of which they are a part.  We should not force one generation to look like the other (which is why I am NOT saying that older Rabbi's should dress down or that every young rabbi should either).  We should be able to work, dream, accomplish and share stages together so that we can do the work of presenting the message of Yeshua our Messiah with compassion, love, grace and truth.  That translates to all people of every generation.

Just remember, "cleanliness is next to godliness!"

7 comments:

  1. Oh Matt! I do love you so! You definitely have your finger on the pulse of this generation. I have long fought the same battles you speak of in this blog. The important thing is teaching youth to love the Lord, their God, with all their heart, mind, soul, and strength...not what they may or may not be wearing on their bodies! I think that is part of the reason that Marc and I have been "successful" in youth ministry...my goal is to see their HEARTS and to minister to them where they are...to lead them into DISCOVERY of their Messiah and then to support them in their relationship with Him. Now I want to visit your congregation more than ever! Hopefully, it will be soon! Blessings and Mazel Tov on a beautifully written blog. Shalom! D'Vorah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go tell it on the mountain Matt. I agree all the way. I feel like I am putting on a show to where a suit. I dress business casual to work and I think that is just fine for my job. I own one suit, not because I would not like to have more than one, but because I can't afford more than one. This leads me to believe that some people who show up in our congregations in jeans and a Rip Curl t-shirt might actually be wearing their best. It would actually be insulting and belittling to suggest to them that they have to wear something that is beyond their means to enter in to the presence of God.
    I am quite sure that Yeshua did not have a dress code for his diciples other than make sure your junk is covered.I wear my suit out of respect for my leaderships wishes, but I get out of that thing as soon as humanly possible afterward.
    Please keep us updated as to the results of the experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, I saw you posted this blog on facebook and the title was interesting so I decided to check it out. Great blog! People are often so concerned with the little details that they forget about the big picture. I always dress down, because it is comfortable. I think the argument is more than just about the way you dress, but what is really important in life. Real life, real serving, and real living with Yeshua are what matters, and if you get that then you realize the rest is just not that important!

    Keep up the good work!

    sarah w

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog post!

    Although as one of those young "dress up" rabbis, I must admit, I'd often rather dress down. For all of us what that means may be different. For example, on Shabbat I always wear slacks, a button-up shirt, and a tie. I HATE wearing a jacket. And yet ... I often get flack for not wearing a jacket.

    We can never please everyone. There are indeed times for everything (including dressing up). But... and as you said, Matt, sometimes we need to just be ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe wearing my bright, colorful Hawaiian t-shirts is wearing my best. I look for every opportunity to wear them. I'm wishing for more. Thanks for writing this. - Rabbi Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Matt, I agree with your thoughts on dressing down, being comfortable, and reaching people. I wish my employer would see it that way because I have to wear a tie, shirt, dress shoes, and slacks every day and I work with children. I happen to like the way you dress, even the haircut, and have embraced it my self. Just because I'm nearly sixty doesn't make me dead yet. Truthfully, I've even thought of tattoos. They would probably fire me for that though. I have noted that the younger parents respond favorably to my fohawk and so do my students. Your on the right track, man.

      Dan

      Delete
  6. What do you think about women wearing a Tallit?

    ReplyDelete