Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Messinanic Judaism Needs to Change Some Methods Not the Message


I wrote a recent blog (read it here) and made the statement, "Messianic Judaism is not working in my generation". This generated a lot of comments mostly on Facebook. I want to flesh that out a bit...
Pastor Andy Stanley wrote, "The...leaders who are seemingly most concerned about the dropout rate of that demographic [18-25 years old] are the very ones who create the weekend experiences that this demographic finds entirely unengaging."

I go to a lot of conferences. I can't even count how many time Messianic leaders say, "We are losing the next generation." or "We have lost the next generation." or "We need to do a better job reaching the next generation." In recent years, I have made similar statements based on a large number of friends that I grew up with in Messianic Judaism who have left Messianic Judaism for a variety of reasons. 

As a Messianic Rabbi's son I have fought many times for certain methods that I was taught. I have fought for things I considered to be non-negotiable of Jewish ministry. For instance I have preached on the Torah portions for the last 7 years. Recently, I realized that I had become tired with my own sermons. The text lost some life for me because I boxed myself into a system. Understand me, I am not opposed to the Torah and Haftarah cylce. But I am opposed to not being inspired. I have preached my best sermons in the last six months because I made a change in something that I would never have done previously. 

My overwhelming desire is to share Yeshua my Messiah with my generation, specifically with young, typically secular, Jewish people. I have come to openly wonder if some of the things I have been doing, convinced of their importance, actually had become roadblocks to me sharing Yeshua effectively.
 

What matters most in my generation is authenticity. I want to be authentically me. This idea led me on a path of discovery that I would of never imagined. I'm not by any means perfect; simply ask my wife she will confirm that! But I noticed in my preaching and in the way that I dressed for Shabbat and for rabbinical duties that I didn't feel quite like myself. I am an open book, a New Yorker. If you ask me what I think, I will tell you. And I found getting dressed up for Shabbat was, for me (not for everyone), not being true to who I am. Of course there are many convinced that dressing up is essential for Jewish people hearing the Gospel. There are expectations of what a rabbi is and what a rabbi looks like that should not be messed with. My nature has always been to mess with such things. (I wrote about this a few years ago. read it here!) Nothing gives me more satisfaction than hearing "I've never met a rabbi like you." After all, if I am following after Yeshua's example, that is exactly what I am going for!

My latest experiment is not wearing a tallit when I preach. A tal
lit is a traditional prayer shawl and there would be an expectation that a rabbi would wear one in synagogue. As I do. I wear it from the start of the service through the end of the Torah service and then take it off to preach. I wonder if removing some of the religious elements from my method will open some
people to the message. Because of some of my favorite preachers, I sit in a chair, use a teaching table, have a cup of tea and use an iPad. The message has not changed but methods are transitioning into something more comfortable for me and for my listeners. Listen, the message is not comfortable. The message is the truth of the Word of God. The message is that Yeshua is the God of our fathers. That is not comfortable for many listeners. I want people to have an opportunity to be offended by what I am saying and not by anything else in the presentation. It won't work for everyone. Some young people won't like my presentation. Some in the generations ahead of me won't like it either. I am not in this for everyone to like my presentation. I am going for people that Messianic Judaism has yet to reach. I am attempting to reach people who will respond to a particular way that God has gifted me to share about Him. It's cool with me if you don't dig my presentation. But, if some young Jewish people come and hear what I have to say, it is all worth it. Because they are what I am in this for!

While connection to our Jewish past is important to me, I think we, Messianic Jews, have an obligation to mess with and change things. Pastor Craig Groeshel says, "if you want to reach people no one is reaching, you have to do things no one else is doing." I'm not talking about changing the message or even watering it down. The Shema is still the Shema (although I wouldn't mind changing the tune). The Word of God is still the Word of God. But traditions that come from men can and should be changed for new generations. No one can claim that they are reaching young Jewish people in such large numbers that nothing should change. Many of the current leaders of Messianic congregations and organizations came to Yeshua through the Jesus movement in the 60's and 70's. It was a counter-cultural movement that intentionally chose new methods of reaching people with a never-changing message. There has to be new methods for this generation and I am on a journey of discovering some of those methods.

It is often said "imitation is the highest form of flattery"...but...maybe not. What if the highest form of honor to the generations before us is to become the best of our own generation? After all, this is not anything unique to Messianic Judaism. It is the struggle of l'dor v'dor (generation to generation). Are we supposed to look, act and talk exactly like those who came before us? Or, did they raise us to be the best version of ourselves who walk after the God of our fathers with all of our heart, soul & strength? I think the highest form of honor to my parents is being everything that God has called me to be in my generation; not carbon copies of them, but walking in the dual identity they raised me in for I am entirely Messianic and entirely Jewish at the same time.  I am confident that a Messianic Judaism that honors our past and makes changes for the present and future is a Messianic Judaism that will work in my generation. Not changing for change sake but making changes in our methods to be more effective in sharing the message of Yeshua in this generation.
 

What if our services, events, and conferences were entirely engaging to 18-25 year olds. What would they even look like? What would have to change in what we do now to get there? How much more effective would Messianic Judaism be if the focus shifted to empowering our young people to the best of their generation in every field that they put their hands to? My dad says often, "I don't want my children to be like me; I want them to be better versions of me." What if we look at changes in our methods like that?


What changes would you make to services, events and conferences to be more effective in reaching young secular Jewish people?

28 comments:

  1. Rabbi Matt,

    My wife and I have stepped aside from ministry in Messianic Judaism (I was a congregational leader for 9+ years). There are many reasons for our decision, not the least of which was the ongoing struggle to reveal the ancient paths of Judaism while making them relevant and fresh for today's generation. Funny thing . . . we never were able to navigate a contemporary Messianic Judaism that was "everyone's cup of tea." I hope and (truly) pray that you will be led by God as you continue to reach the lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post, Rabbi. I agree that we must avoid facades; I think human beings have an uncanny knack for spotting insincerity. Religion especially.

    Your final question, "what changes would you make to services to be more effective in reaching young secular people" -- I thought about this for a few minutes and couldn't come up with a good solution that does not involve emulating secular culture (e.g. Church Starbucks), as some in Evangelical Christianity have done.

    Perhaps a start would be to live as the Torah commands, so that we're not made out to be hypocrites, nor have to put on an ultra-religious-not-who-I-really-am persona on shabbat. Perhaps if we take the Torah seriously and apply it everywhere in our lives, that devotion and genuine love of God will draw youth in a meaningful way, more so that a Congregational Starbucks ever would.

    What's your answer to the question, Rabbi? Is it to spice up the service and change around our traditions so that they're more palatable to young people?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Young adults and teens want to be a part of a community that values them and in which there can be an exchange of trust. I stayed in my Messianic congregation over that age period because I had responsibilities there and felt that I was needed and trusted. Trust can only be achieved through honesty and openness.

    Shallow, "sanctified and Messianized" copies of non-messianic communities will fizzle. Investing in relationships with people will build a true community. What that looks like depends on the people who come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Aviad Cohen's readings of scripture. They are dynamic and inspiring, and very touching. They could be a part of services, I'm thinking, and that would be cool.

    http://www.50shekel.com/scripturesonicsvol1.cfm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure the Hebrew Roots movement will experience a leap-frog effect when it comes to the next generation. Kids who were raised in Torah were raised by parents who maybe had just come to a knowledge of Torah observance which was radically against what they had been raised in. Because their kids were raised in Torah, once they begin to have families and children of their own, they will fall back on what they learned as children - Torah - even if their observance lapsed leading up to the point.

    But Judah is right, just living Torah is the biggest ministry one can have to any generation. As someone in your demographic (I'm just almost 26), even though I came to Torah on my own at 18, I was (well, I am still am) extremely disillusioned by Messianic Judaism because it seems like every new Hebrew Roots person immediately wants to start their own "ministry" whether they're learned and spirituality mature enough or not. They start groups, there are power struggles, and tons of people get burned and drop out. I think the next generation, though they have a love of Torah, don't have that urgency to start their own congregations or have people accept their interpretations as gospel truth, will get along better with other Jews (Messianic or otherwise), and will actually draw more people in to a yearning for Torah whether those who first exposed it to them by their actions knew it or not.(Pardon the run-on sentence - I've had a lot of coffee.)

    While the paint is still drying on this new identity for those who found Torah on their own, those who were born painted Hebrew will end up falling back on it later in life. They know too much about the false doctrines in Christianity as well as Rabbinic Judaism to fall either way, yet hopefully they were blessed with a love of the Father, so I foresee a reemergence in unadulterated Judaism in the next generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken,

      The Hebrew roots movement and messianic movement are different movements.

      Delete
    2. Matt,

      I think you missed Ken's point. His main point is, "just living Torah is the biggest ministry one can have to any generation."

      What are your thoughts on this?

      How does Deut. 28-30 play into your push toward "contextualization"?

      Delete
  6. YEAH MATT! I got really excited reading this!!

    -Rosemarie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt,

      I think you missed Ken's point. His main point is, "just living Torah is the biggest ministry one can have to any generation."

      What are your thoughts on this?

      How does Deut. 28-30 play into your push toward "contextualization"?

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always felt that having some sort of regular "ask the Rabbi" forum would be helpful. I don't know whether trying to incorporate it into the actual service would work well, but something where anyone, visitor or congregation member, can ask the Rabbi their spiritual questions. I think it would help a lot, as not only would it make a lot of the Rabbis seem more approachable, it would also help give each Rabbi a better sense of what's currently on his community's heart and he could more effectively tailor his messages to address those needs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What changes would you make to services, events and conferences to be more effective in reaching young secular Jewish people?

    I would stop following Jewish traditions that violate the commandments and start following the commandments. The young Jewish people will respect you for that if you do.
    Will schedule a teaching on this subject soon. Jeff Morency, Ph.D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amein and amein! Get real and do not go the halacha of the rabbinical traditions kept for thousands of years , enslaved and bondage you. Y'shua the Messiah (Torah) commandments rules and regulations and instructions are different from this fence. The Torah in its self=Himself) is what we ought ALL to keep for and no rabbinical traditions and law. Get really Torah-observant,a true follower of Y'sha\ua ha Mashiach and disciple and gather together when Y-h has ordained that precisely in His word the when and how. Also Modesty is demanded , and wear the King's garments He gives to us for to come close into His presence. Yes you can come as you are but you will never leave as you came. Happy Feast of the1st Day of First fruits Thank you so much for TORAH and our helper and teacher and guide the Ruach ha Kodesh you poured over your people out today! Happy Pentecost, in love &peace.

      p.s: Kids love honesty and reliability no fancy shows painting over the real issue, they love and honor you for being serious and honest with them , that means much more love to them than anything else.Why would you make them believe through man made traditions? Give them the bread of life and the water of life , let them eat the torah scroll. Break up ans out of those traditions , for they lie to your kids. Read the Torah for them and let them read it themselves

      Delete
  10. I figure I'll add my two shekels. I would consider myself as being a part of the "next-gen" of Messianic Jews. I'm 19, and have been in the movement for my entire lifespan. One issue I see is that, reflecting on what Andy Stanley writes, is that not only are the leaders who say we are "losing" and "failing" with the next generation the ones who created the experience, but they also are the ones that fail to enact any positive change.

    I think the issue is two-fold: as mentioned above, many next-geners do not connect with many of the "norms" that have been in place in Messianic Judaism, such as music, teaching style, dress, and traditions. I commend Rabbi Matt for being willing to change many aspects of Messianic ministry by keeping the message in tact and contextualized, but tuning in to culture and seeing what the next-generation is looking for.

    That said, I believe that it does not stop there. Many both in the church and the movement make a serious error by completing efforts at this stage. The mentality often goes like this: if the majority of our worship music is in a 4/4 time signature with a good clap pattern (Chris Tomlin in Hebrew, anyone? No, seriously -- "How Great is Our God" becomes "Ki Gadol Elohai" quite easily and sounds awesome in Hebrew...), our teachings/messages are 30 mins or less and are extremely applicable and relevant, have a youth/college/career program that is out of this world, etc, we're good to go. People will be rushing into our synagogues faster than a Golden Retriever chasing a tennis ball.

    What we fail to realize is this: people are searching for Yeshua.

    Except they don't realize it.

    And because they don't realize it, they're not going to stumble into a synagogue.

    Where will people be searching? At their schools. In their universities. In their communities. So that's where we need to be. I think one major thing we can do to at least make some progress on reaching the next-gen is "get out there." Set up outreach programs to benefit people in your neighborhood. In your city. Find out what the needs are, and fill it. I'm not so much talking about setting up a table at Lincoln High School's homecoming fair for your synagogue, for example. More so the relational outreach that comes with establishing a tutoring program at an underprivileged middle school. A shoe drive. A synagogue "mission trip" to your city. A community Seder. The possibilities are endless. When we begin to look outside the four (or five...or six...) walls of our synagogues, we encounter a world filled with need. And we can meet some of those needs.

    Yeshua met people where they were. At wells. On the streets. From the perspectives of the writers of the Brit Chadasha, He didn't spend a whole lot of time in the temple. When He interacted with people, He took care of their physical and spiritual needs. People started following Yeshua because they saw Him. They saw the work He was doing. I cannot escape the idea that this is our model to follow. That we close the doors of the synagogue and become a missional Messianic Jewish community ready to serve our city and take the message of the Jewish Messiah to Jews (and Gentiles) who are about to find out just what they're searching for.

    Granted, the practicality of this differs by congregation, and I obviously suggest a heavy reliance upon the Ruach HaKodesh to see what direction to take in reaching out. I think the more we reach out, the more we stay in touch with the next generation especially. We see the world through their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jared,

      Totally agree on the point that young people want a mission! Tikkun Olam (Healing of the world) is a major Jewish principle and our synagogues must be willing to participate in projects that heal the world.

      Yeshua definilty spent a lot of time in Synagogue. But I agree that he was also out there in unexpeted places. places where many Rabbi's would'nt go!

      Your thougts are not idealistic in a bad sense. Our movement needs a good shot of idealism and people your age willing to challenge the status quo in order to reach your generation! good stuff bro!

      Delete
  11. Oh, and as far those in the next-gen joining us? I firmly believe that my generation desperately craves a mission. We've been told falsely what our mission in life should be. With the message of Yeshua, we're eagerly anticipating a new mission. And we're prone to joining forces on a mission. Look at what happened with a 30-minute video on a guy named Joseph Kony. Millions of people in my generation jumped on the small chance to make a difference. Why not give them the chance to reach the Jews in their community with the message of the Jewish Messiah and make an eternal difference?

    Anyway, just my thoughts. Perhaps I'm being too idealistic, but what else would you expect from a 19-year-old? Would love to hear feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your thoughts, Rabbi Matt! Here's a question -- in your opinion, is the above practical and able to be implemented in a Messianic Synagogue?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can only speak for myself, but as a young woman who was raised with a combination of evangelical Christianity, Judaism and messianic Judaism, I finally cut ties philosophically with all three for a combination of reasons: First was the traumatic experience of several people in my life who I looked up to and respected for their faith falling into (and justifying) obvious sexual sin (fornication and adultery). Second was realizing that the Christians/Messianics I've met (especially in the past decade) have been pretty unconcerned/unloving and that dogma/evangelistic zeal/cliquishness has mostly replaced genuine love and compassion (this included the Christians/Messianics I met during a five week trip to Israel). I even had a messianic musician (who I worked for) slander and libel my character and drag me to court on false charges. That was pretty much the beginning of the end for me as far as my faith was concerned.
    Heartbroken, I went to the public library and checked out every book I could find on the origins of Christianity and Judaism, textual criticism, biblical archaeology, early Christian heresies, etc. Eventually, I also found books on astrotheology, pagan mystery schools, use of entheogens in ancient religion, Hebrew goddess worship, Gnosticism, etc.
    I knew that if I left a faith that I had genuinely believed (and made many sacrifices in my life to follow), it would have to be for philosophical, not purely emotional reasons. I found enough evidence to convince me that I had been raised to believe lies, not truth. Suddenly, I understood why my many prayers and fasts had yielded no fruit, and why none of the many “prophetic words” given to me over my lifetime had come to pass. It has been a long journey, but I think that the reality is that my generation is questioning religious belief for a number of reasons: better access to information (the lack of genuine scientific evidence for the Biblical myths, but abundant evidence for horrific abuse by churches/religious establishments over the past couple of millennia), new archaeological discoveries (including the Gnostic gospels, the discovery that the Hebrews were a native Caananite tribe, and the extremely dubious evidence of a real historical Jesus/Yeshua), the entertainment-driven culture we live in (which churches have mostly embraced), the reality that few Christians/Messianics actually live “holy/separate” lives (and give incessant excuses for this), the use of brainwashing techniques/hypnotic suggestion (often using music) in most churches, the lack of real miracles and life transformation, the destructiveness of Western Christian beliefs on the earth (“ it doesn’t matter if we destroy the earth, it’s going to burn anyway…but, thank g-d, Messiah will rapture the “the remnant/true believers” before the end comes”), greed, greed, greed, war, war, war… I could go on and on. It is the most sensible thing in the world for people my age to leave all this nonsense.
    That said, I still believe strongly in biblical literacy. I still remember the beauty of religious faith and of reverence for g-d. I still believe the evolved Judaism of today has a level of philosophical beauty and wisdom that a person can only be richer for studying (though this view must be balanced with the reality that the tradition also teaches acceptance of horrific child-abuse practices and other questionable ideas). I believe the teachings on love and equality in the New Testament are just as relevant today as ever. I am richer for my upbringing in these traditions, but I also see them more clearly for what they are as an adult: ancient creation myths, the laws and wisdom teachings of an ancient (and colorful) middle-eastern tribe. I love Israel and Jewish people, but I have also realized it is not right to exalt any people over another, as this is the basis for injustice. I strive to treat each person as my equal and to respect life in general, and at all stages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow. so sorry for your experience in both christian and messianic circles. people fail and do horrific things and I am sorry that was your experience with people you were supposed to be able to trust. The Bible should never be used to excuse the terrible things people do to each other. As to you later part, I obviously disagree with you and do not believe the Bible to be myths. Thanks for your participation in the discussion.

      Delete
    2. I am so sorry, too. As I have gone along in life, I have met enough hurtful people in the Body to choke a herd of horses.
      As to the Bible; I think that God was talking to the most ancient and simple of people (it is not simply the intellect that it tries to reach). If you look at the creation story, it is barely more than a chapter, leaving me to feel that much more could have happened that was not mentioned of Earth's story. The Bible is not meant to be an account of everything that ever happened, but an account of the relationship between God and those who carry His image. We are supposed to look for ourselves, and who we would strive to be in relationship to Him.
      God bless and continue your search.
      Auntie Jan

      Delete
  14. Aunty Jan, I too am saddened to hear of the bruising experiences you've had at the hands of hypocrites and hard hearts. A great aunt of mine once went off with a 'travelling evangelist' and the brief experience of his loveless lust seared her till her dying day, and her generation. My dear and godly great grandfather was heartbroken to see all his 5 children lost to a nominal and shallow liberalism, by means of a man he had trusted. It took some searing experiences for me to return to the Messiah, from atheism, and I too have dealt with some difficult times since, but I've never known gentleness and patience like that I've seen amongst separated believers. I am a Gentile and belong to an ordinary independent Baptist church (as did my great grandfather, before he took some careless and compromised steps like Hezekiah and Asa did). God is faithful, draw nearer to Him and He will draw nearer to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your enthusiasm!

    Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some good thoughts, Matt. You say you preach seated, with a teaching table, an ipad and a cup of tea...

    Are congregants likewise allowed to bring a cup of tea into services with them? If not, might that be subtly conveying the same distanciation as the rabbi wearing a tallit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Glenn. We live in Seattle. We can't keep coffee/tea out of people's hands :) They have to have lids but we love our coffee here!

      Delete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete