Search This Blog

Thursday, September 12, 2013

My Version of Messianic Judaism is The Right One!

A few months ago I wrote about how Messianic Judaism needs to change.  Sometime before that I wrote about a "grassroots" event that my congregation hosted in Seattle.  At this event there was a beautiful moment that happened when young leaders from messianic synagogues and young leaders from Jews for Jesus came together and repented for not loving each other and treating each other as being a part of the same movement.  It was, in part, spurred by the life and death of one of the founders of Jews for Jesus, Jhan Moskowitz, who was a man of God who always preached unity in the messianic movement.  We just passed the one year anniversary of Jhan's death and he has been on my mind a lot.  

I was jogging yesterday morning and I began to weep (not that odd for me) because of something the God of Israel has been doing in my heart and mind over this last year.  I grew up with the idea that my version of Messianic Judaism is the "right one."  I would look at other forms of Messianic Judaism or Jewish people that belonged to churches and I would think "If only they would live like a real messianic Jew should. If only they would live like me."  It now seems so painfully obvious to me that my attitude for most of my life has been...well...sin.

This brings me back to my weeping (which, by the way, is difficult to do while jogging!). As we approach Yom Kippur this weekend I am in a place of repentance.  I no longer think my way is the right way. Don't get me wrong.  I like the way the I live out Messianic Judasim and I think there are essentials to what we belive if you are going to call yourself a "Messianic Jew" or a "Messianic Gentile" (Listen to my series at Beit Messiah on this called "Back To Basics").  But, I have come to a place where I realize that there are many ways to walk faithfully with Yeshua the Messiah.  I don't want to judge how other people walk.  Especially amazing ministries like Jews for Jesus who are celebrating 40 years of "making the Messiahship of Jesus an unavoidable issue."

I am not the keeper of the best version of Messianic Judaism.  Don't kid yourself, you aren't either. This is a new day.  I recently (October 18-20 2013) spoke at the Jews for Jesus Ingathering East Coast.  I feel so silly for pushing them away because some people are offended by their work. I have believed for so long that my version of Messianic Judaism is better than theirs. Instead, I will move forward, with them, in doing the most important work of making Yeshua known. First to my Jewish people and also to the rest of the nations on earth!

12 comments:

  1. Wow, Matt, I wish I could be there for such an historic reunion. Blessings on you in this trip out east. You know we in Jews for Jesus have to knock it around a lot also that 'our version' is not the only one either. The Almighty has unending ways of reaching every person on the planet and of keeping/discipling them as well. What is happening in the movement(s) is awesome to observe and even more exciting to participate in.

    Maybe Messianic Times and Project Timothy and Grassroots will continue to make us one. I will hope so.

    When we are one, the world will believe that the Father sent the Son. When they continue in that, and we continue in that unity, the world will know the Father sent the Son. (John 17.21-23) First faith, then knowledge. Awesome.

    Thanks for being part of this unity.
    Thanks for helping us all be part of this in humility and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob! You played a very important role for me as the leader of Camp Gilgal in the 90's. It was a great experience and I appreciate all you have done and are doing still! Much love my friend!

      Delete
  2. Great post.

    May I also suggest that I would like to see a deep connection with the Gentile church is needed. There are a lot of perishing people out there and we need each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt Geoff. I got something coming regarding that issue after our holy days are over! We absolutley need each other!

      Delete
  3. Really encouraging words, & so timely with Yom Kippur upon us. It's so powerful seeing people & even more so ministries getting back to the original essence of reconciliation & unity. I believe it speaks volumes, especially to those that don't yet know the Lord. I pray that more people & ministries follow suit.

    Many Blessings.
    Matthew Mistery Peet
    (Krosswerdz, Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good Rav. What about unity with those holding to doctrines you disgree with? What about 119 ministries? What about other "fringe" groups that claim to serve Messiah according to their honest understanding? How do they fit into this new perspective of yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still must hold to essential doctrines and avoid nonsense. Much of the "fringe", as you called it, is far to involved in things that don't really matter. Just because people claim to be Messianic doesn't mean they are and we all have a responbility not just to teach according to "honest understanding" but according to a solid understanding of the Scriptures.

      Delete
  5. Excellent thoughts Matt! I once had a conversation with a "more traditional" Messianic Rabbi who had expressed a desire for Messianic congregations to return to a more identifiably Jewish expression akin to American Conservative Judaism.

    I responded that I felt it was perfectly valid and good for there to be congregations that fostered this flavor of Messianic Judaism, but also cautioned against it being the "best" or "right" form. You see, there are many Jewish brothers and sisters who would simply never be reached or attracted to that form of expression. Just as God created the world with great diversity, we need to have a diverse Messianic Judaism to accommodate the world we live in. And yes, for some, this means that they learn to identify as Jews even while remaining in their local churches. Could you imagine the world with just one type/variety of flower? Nope, me neither. Some like roses, others tulips, sunflowers, or pansies. The most important thing is that we agree on the major points of what it means to be a flower, and excel in our ability to provide a beautiful fragrance before HaShem and to the world as a light to the Nations.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben! Great comments. I just don't want to be the pansies ;)

      Delete
    2. It's funny to see many Messianic Congregations in the diaspora trying to be very Jewish and many Messianic Congregations in Israel are really evangelical churches translated into Hebrew.

      Delete