Search This Blog

Friday, December 24, 2010

ready...set...go!

Why do I need a blog?  why jump in the game now?  These are some questions that come to my mind as I begin this new endeavor of writing and keeping a blog.  First, I have always loved to write but have also feared that my writing would be subject to criticism (gulp).  Second, I am terrible with grammar and for fear of looking dumb I have kept myself from writing (and I PROMISE my grammar will never be good).  Third, are my thoughts worth it?  At 31 years old I have decided they are!

So, what is the point? Meshugas is Yiddish for "craziness; foolishness, nonsense."  It also starts with an "M" and sounds great with my name...So, take it or leave it but here we go...

I plan to use this blog as a place for me to be me.  I hope to be honest and open and give people (who are interested) a better picture of who I am.  I often get comments like, "I have never met a Rabbi like you!" or "Your a Rabbi?!"  The truth is I am a Messianic Rabbi but I don't believe that means I cannot be a human being.  I have feelings, thoughts, pains, hopes and lots of joy!  and I intend to share all of that.

Before I was a Rabbi I was a son.  I love my parents (Rabbi David and Helene Rosenberg).  They are amazing people of deep passion and faith that drives them to love God and people better.  I am thankful for everything that they have invested in me and the love they poured out on me.  When teachers said, "he can't focus" or "he is a trouble maker" my parents worked hard to make sure I understood that my energy was an awesome gift that would enable me to do awesome things.  Speaking of being a trouble maker...my teachers were right...I still am!  I like to believe that my "trouble making" will lead to good things and I know that is from my parents who are both "trouble makers" in their own right!

when I became a son I also became a little brother.  I more than look up to my brother Jake.  He is one of the most talented artists and deepest thinkers I know.  I value his opinions because I know he wants the best for me and pushes me to be better.  We have come a long way from the days when he use to pin me to the ground and hold my mouth open and try to spit in my mouth.  I am proud of my brother, his wife heather and my niece Rachel and all that they are accomplishing as a family.

a few years later I became an older brother.  Avi is awesome!  He is deep and extremely gifted in so many ways.  One word that defines my little brother (who bigger, stronger and more fit than I) is determination.  When he wants to do something it will happen.  If he dreams he strives to accomplish his dreams with tenacity.  I am proud of my little brother and know that anything he puts his hands to will turn out to be something beautiful.

One of the greatest goals of my short life was finding my wife!  Laura is so much more than the woman I imagined.  Her gifts and talents do far more than balance mine.  She is exceptionally creative, extremely hopeful and more beautiful every day that we grow older together.  She is the funniest person in the world and nobody makes me laugh and smile more than my wife.  and man is she sexy!  I mean really sexy!  The title I value most is "Laura's husband".

After I become a husband I became a father.  Emma, Siri, and Ty bring me endless joy and more laughter than I ever thought there would be.  They are each so different and it amazes me everyday that the combination of Laura and I have produced such ridiculously cute, hysterical, energy filled, awesome kids (maybe i'm not that surprised).

I was born in Ashland, Oregon.  Spent some of my childhood in Philadelphia, California, New Jersey and most of my childhood in New York.  I value my Jewish identity (and I don't care who thinks I am a Jew or not), and I value my faith in Yeshua my Messiah who is the visible image of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.  I am a Messianic Rabbi of a fantastic Synagogue (www.beitmessiah.com) on Mercer Island and I am so happy to be enjoying the beauty of the amazing northwest and our new city, Seattle!

So, thats me (so far)!  I know there is going to be so much more and for better or worse this blog will be my "meshugas".  I hope it will be also be funny and enjoyable.  There will be theology from time to time.  and it will always have some relationship to my relationship with the One who created me.

follow, if you would like.  As I attempt to follow my Messiah Yeshua with all of my heart, soul and strength!

7 comments:

  1. Good to have more messianics in the blogosphere. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! A wonderful place to share about you and Yeshua. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt I am very familiar with your mishigas...In fact I think you got it from me! - Sorry about that! -- But it is a special gift! Love ya Pal! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a lot of snow today! now that is mishigas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that there is yet another way to follow the ramblings of your mind and life. Praise to Him who has made a way for connection through the miles (and I dont mean Bill Gates)

    ReplyDelete